Prof. dr. Hans van Oosterhout
Read more about Hans
During this day, we will explore questions of corporate governance, corporate ownership, and stakeholder management as an integral and essential part of a corporate strategy. Key to this perspective is to understand how the ownership and governance structure of the firm view define the ‘rules of the game’ within which firms can secure, develop, and exploit their resources and business models, in order to create and appropriate value. The most important experiential objective of the day will be to develop a more strategic way of thinking about some of the core activities that you are involved in as the General Counsel (GC), and develop a perspective on how to complement your existing role as the chief legal expert or manager in the firm with the capability to become a strategic discussion partner for the firm’s c-suite decision-makers.
You will explore the following questions:
- What is corporate strategy?
- How to understand corporate governance, ownership, and stakeholder management from the perspective of corporate strategy?
- How to develop an ownership and governance strategy as a necessary and integral part of the corporate strategy of the firm?
- How to complement the disciplinary expertise of the GC with a more strategic understanding of GC core activities?
- How to position the GC in order to secure a more strategic role in the management of your firm?
- Understand how and why corporate governance, ownership and stakeholder management are essential and necessary ingredients of a corporate level strategy.
- Learn to think strategically about corporate governance, ownership, and stakeholder management as necessary ingredients of a corporate strategy.
- Discover how the General Counsel may complement his/her disciplinary expertise with a more strategic way of thinking in order to become an all-round discussion partner for the firm’s c-suite decision-makers.
It challenged my way of thinking about the legal profession
The GCEP to me brought real added value on matters that are important to the modern General Counsel, such as strategic management, reputation management and leadership. It challenged my way of thinking about the legal profession and priority setting. All in wonderful setting with good key-note speakers, challenging assignments and open and honest discussions with my fellow students. – SHV Holdings, Lonneke de Beer, General Counsel
Enables GCs to take a step back and to think at a strategic level
An excellent program that I highly recommend! The GCEP challenges and enables GC’s to take a step back and to think at a strategic level. I experienced the interaction with peers from various industries and countries as very inspiring. – InsingerGilissen Bankiers, Mike Staring, General Counsel